Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Happy Birthday My Daughter! #MyCocacolaMoments

Coca-Cola
It was just one of those Saturdays when I wanted to sit on the couch and watch the English premier league. I cannot really call myself a die-hard fan but yes I am an ardent lover of the round leather game.
Nothing fascinates me more than football formations and understanding every intricate play and moves executed by the players on the pitch. I am appreciative of footballers who work tirelessly and cover every blade of grass.
This season, with the growing number of attacking talents in the ranks, every team in the premier league looks fierce. For me, I love footballers who are not only highly skilled but also display grit, guts and gusto on the field of play.
So, I was optimistic that the match between Chelsea FC and Arsenal FC at Stamford Bridge will live up to its pre-match hype. But, just before kick-off, my lovely wife walks into the sitting room with a cheeky smile on her face.
"Baby, what’s up now? What’s happening?", I asked. "Nothing ooo. I feel like drinking Coca Cola right now", she replied. I muttered under my breath, “This woman don come again. Wetin be this now? Not that last bottle in the fridge”.
"Baby, did you not hear me? I want to take the Coke in the fridge”, she yelled out. My wife resents the premier league. She can’t stand scenes of me yelling at the top of my voice when the referee makes a bad call or the wild dancing and jumping around the living room when my team (The Blues) scores.
For her, I should save that energy for her in "za oza room" and when the National Team is playing. I don’t blame her one bit. But right now, I was in a big dilemma. Should I turn down her request and damn the consequences?
Or, should I accede to her request and enjoy the football game? The latter was the most practical thing to do under the prevailing circumstances. “But, why should she always have her way all the time”, I thought to myself.
In retrospect, I should have just handed her the bottle of Coca-Cola. To make her see reasons why I needed the bottle of coke more, I said to my wife, “Baby, na wah for you ooo! You had a bottle yesterday now.
“You know what they say a coke a day keeps the doctor away”, I said smiling sheepishly. Her stare alone said it all. It was the height of desperation. How could I have come up with that? So, lame! What was I even thinking?
My daughter who also shares my obsession for football chuckled. “Daddy, Daddy, YOU DON’T LIKE TO SHARE! And it is an ‘Apple a day keeps the Doctor away’. Funny Daddy!”, she stated with her eyes still glued to the television.
I was so embarrassed at that moment. “Mabel, I know that but I was only trying to make a point to your mum”, I tried to explain to her. At that moment, she couldn't be bothered. For years, Coca-Cola has encouraged people to share happiness and has even provided surprising ways to share a Coke.
Perhaps, my daughter’s counsel made a greater impression on me. Happy birthday to my beautiful and witty daughter! When you are sad, I am sad; and when you are happy, I feel untold joy.
Every parent wishes their child to know only peace and happiness in their life, and I am no exception. May your birthday herald a year of great health, wealth and happiness for us all, AMEN!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MABEL UCHENNA UZOR! #MyCocacolaMoments

No comments:

Post a Comment